Thursday, November 29, 2007

Discipline

"My child, don't make light of the Lord's discipline, and don't give up when he corrects you. For the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child." ---Hebrews 12:5-6

"...our goal should be to ensure that our reflection of God draws our children closer to Him - and that it makes them long to touch the real thing..." ---Lisa Whelchel, Facts of Life actress

I have said before that I do not believe that the struggles I have faced over the last six months have been judgement from the Lord for sin in my life. I have prayed about this and I have a peace within my heart about that. However, after reading these verses tonight, I have a new concept of discipline and how it works. I believe that God uses discipline in our lives, not only as a form of consequences for our sin, but as a tool to make us more like His son. Which is exactly what I feel like He is doing in my life. These verses encouraged me tonight to keep going. And what a great reminder of His love in the same sentence! It is so hard and there have been times when I have wanted to just throw in the towel, but something kept me going. And I think it was the verse in Romans 8:37-38 that says that nothing can seperate us from the love of God. Sharon Evans said that she use to insert "not even a brain injury can seperate us from the love of God." I would have to add, "not even depression can seperate me from the love of God." How encouraging is that?

No comments: