Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thank You, God

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." --1 Thessalonians 5:18

Sometimes it is so hard to be thankful. When tender moments that have previously been filtered through the fingertips of God become unfortunate circumstances and seasons of desperation in our lives, it's hard to say, "Thank you, God." And sometimes we have to go through those storms in order to finally get to the point where we can gratefully say, "Thank you, God." I am so glad that my God looks at the heart of me and not just my emotional state. How fictious it would be to have said, "thank you" during my period of loss this summer. My empty words would not have reflected my heart. And my Father knew all this because he created me the way that I am. How much more fulfilling and exhilerating it is to look back, remember the hurt, to remember the pain and in all truthfulness and joy, exclaim, "Thank you, God. Thank you for the journey. Thank you for pain. Thank you for the lesson. Thank you for making me more like your Son. Amen."

No comments: