Monday, June 11, 2007

Sasha

Lisa Whelchel talks in her book, "Taking Care of the Me in Mommie," about “prayer starters” and how we can simply use the way we get dressed every day as conversation pieces with God. Off and on for the past several months, I’ve tried to put this concept in to practice while I put on my mascara. When I do remember, I pray, “Lord, give me eyes to see others through you.”

Ever since I found out about Kathy & John Bradford’s adoption of their Russian daughter, I have gotten interested in the Antares Orphanage in Kazakhstan. I went to the website and looked at the smiling faces of children that really have no reason to smile. I can’t imagine what life must be like in an orphanage, especially one overseas. A picture of a little boy named, Sasha, caught my attention so I decided to email the orphanage’s director to find out more about him. Here is what Boris, the director, had to say:

"Sasha was moved to the orphanage after her had drowned his sister in a well about 4 years ago. According with our stupid laws his mother has been imprisoned for 8 years but wasn't deprived of her parental rights. So she is still Sasha's "mother". Sasha lived at Poludinskiy Orphanage until September 2006. Then he was moved to the Regional Orphanage, Petropavlovsk. He is an average student but he is a very kind and affectionate boy. All his caretakers at Poludinskiy Orphanage and at the Regional Orphanage love him very much."

My heart just broke for this little boy. We try so hard to shelter our children from the cruelty of this world. Some children are never sheltered. Unfortunately, for them, they must see the world as it truly is. After a little more surfing on the website (www.antares-orphans.com), I found where it is possible to sponsor a child and I have since emailed Boris back to find out the proper protocol in which to do this. For right now, I ask that you simply pray for Sasha and what God would have us do to help this little boy. When I look at this little boy and think of the life he has lead thus far, I realize how spoiled Alise is. Not just with material things – which she is – but she is also spoiled by a love from her mother and father. She has the luxury of knowing what that feels like and knowing that when she wakes up every morning, that her mother and father will be there. That kind of love is no comparison to the love God has for His children. I know that God loves Sasha just like he loves Alise and all the other children in the world, whether young or old, black or white. We are all precious in His site. Thank you, God, for loving me with a love that never ends. Thank you for giving me eyes to see others through you.

No comments: