Monday, June 4, 2007

Quiet Time

I have been struggling so hard with my quiet time. It comes and goes…I’ll do good for a few days and then life gets hectic or I get busy and slack off again. I know that God can’t be happy with me about this. It seems that my heart is in the right place, but I simply don’t follow through. Not having a quiet time has become a burden to me because I know from experience how life can be when spending time with God. Before I had Alise, I couldn’t go a day without spending time with the Lord. And I am by no means blaming my little girl for my failures. If anything, my desire for the Lord should be stronger now that I need direction and wisdom for her up-bringing. The truth is, it is the choices that I make that prevent me from having a daily quiet time. Alise goes to bed at a fairly descent hour and Wayne has been busy working on fixing up the rent out we bought next door. There is time, after the kitchen is cleaned up, lunch has been made for the next day, clothes have been folded, etc. to have that time that my spiritual body craves, but I make poor choices. I surf the internet, or blog, or get a bath and read a book. But most of the time, I’m simply too tired and not interested.

So, starting this week, I have come up with a new way to jump start my quiet times again using my old plan: 5 minutes praising God, 5 minutes reading God’s work, and 5 minutes praying to God. That’s how my quiet time took off nearly 8 years ago. And it worked! The 15 minutes became 20 and then 30 and before I knew it, I couldn’t go a day without seeking and spending time with God. I pray that God will bless our times together and that he will “renew a steadfast spirit within me” (Psalms).

No comments: