Monday, April 28, 2008

Atheist

Kirk Cameron a self-professed atheist (not anymore)? I was shocked? Should I be?

Atheist is a hard word for me. Almost harder than someone actually saying, “I don’t believe in God,” which is the exact definition of the word. I have a hard time with people who call themselves atheists. Not in an argumentative way, but I really want to ask them, “Ok, what do you believe in? Obviously, you know that death is inevitable. Where and how do you see yourself once you cross the line from life to death? Is that just the end and that’s it?"

As I mentioned in my previous blog, I was a fan of Kirk Cameron's back in the 80's. He was so cute!! I'll never forget "the pose" in one of the first episodes where it showed Kirk's backside with a ball cap hanging out of his pocket! I think it was the "Springsteen" episode. Anyway, as a young teenager growing up in the 80's, you just didn't think about whether or not your favorite actor or actress was a Christian (If my parents had found out that he was an atheist, they would have made me take down all my posters and pictures of him). You just drooled over the pages of BOP & Teen Beat magazines and traded the centerfolds and glossies with your friends. But now, I am reading Kirk's autobiography and in it, he says that he didn't grow up in a Christian home. His dad was of the opinion that his children should decide for themselves how they wanted to view God and religion. Kirk says that his mom went to church growing up but after she and his dad married, they never went. The family spent their Sundays at the beach with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. Listen to what he says in his book, "Still Growing:" "...my earliest religion choice: to be a full-fledged atheist. I was convinced that God didn't exist, and my dad was fine with that conclusion." Now, this statement comes from a family that obviously set high standards for their children. The Cameron family was very tight-knit family. Kirk wasn't a party-er; the worst thing he ever did was get his ear pierced without "asking permission from his mom." So, how could a lovable, very moral family, allow their children to believe that there is no God? Growing up in a Christian home and accepting God's free gift of salvation at a very young age makes it hard for me to understand that there are people in this world who -today- still say that there is no God. It reminds me of another '80's rock band, Poison, who came out with the song, "Give Me Something to Believe In." Don't atheists believe in something?!? Where is their hope? Where is their yearning for something better? Do they not question their purpose for being put on this earth?

Oh, Father, please give them something to believe in. Open their eyes that they may see You for who You really are.


"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." --John 3:16.

No comments: