Thursday, July 31, 2008

15 Minutes of Fame

A few years ago VH1 had a series entitled, "15 Minutes of Fame: Where are they now?". It documented the lives of star celebrities, singers, actors, politicians, etc. that had all reached that pivital moment in their lives and simply asked the question, "What happened to them?" I thought about this show the other night when my daily Bible reading had me in the book of 2 Chronicles.

I read the story about King Uzziah who came to rule Judah when he was only 16 years old! Can you imagine?! The Bible says that "as long as he sought the Lord, God gave him success." Uzziah went out and built this huge army and was successful against defeating the Philistines and as a result of this, word began to spread throughout the land and he became famous. With his fame came power. And with unleashed power came pride.

King Uzziah walked into the temple one day and decided that he would burn incense on the alter. This special task was given only to the priests; not the King. The priests confronted him about his actions and Uzziah became angry. He ranted and raved and then suddenly, the Priests began to notice that the King was breaking out with leprosy on his forehead. He had to live the rest of his life in seclusion...away from his palace and the temple of God. Verse 23 of 2 Chronicles 26 says, "Uzziah rested with his fathers and was buried near them in a field for burial that belonged to the kings, for people said, "He had leprosy.""

For all the good and mighty things that King Uzziah did, his moment of fame was that people remembered him more for having leprosy than they did the battles he won, the skillmanship that he exhibited, or his commandeering. What a shame that Uzziah took his eyes off God and began to see the things that he thought he had done. And I think, "How arrogant to walk into the temple and play Priest!" But I do that everyday when I choose to put my thoughts, desires, and actions before God and what His plans are for me.

Father, I pray for the grace to keep my eyes on You.

2 comments:

Jerry, Lauren, Kaylee, and Isaac! said...

thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I am really trying get us on a good track. we want to get pregnant in the spring (money permitting and we need to be good stewards. anyways stop by my blog anytime. I am an au fan and my husband is a bama fan. so we have a divided house. ARe you going to san antionio?

Phats said...

I watched that VH1 series I love that kind of stuff